Retro A Sneaker Men Exchange Fashion Blue Lapis Running Armani Cobalt X Sneaker 8qpqrxI
Muscle strains, also called pulls, occur when the small fibers within a muscle are stretched beyond their limits, which results in a partial or complete tear (rupture). All muscle pulls are categorized as either Grade I (tearing of a few fibers), Grade II (more extensive fiber damage) or Grade III (complete rupture). Most mild-to-moderate muscle strains heal within a few weeks, although your recovery may be quicker and more complete if you follow some tried-and-true home remedies or seek professional treatment.
Cobalt Sneaker Running X Sneaker Men Retro Blue Fashion Lapis A Exchange Armani Steps
Recovering From a Muscle Strain at Home
1Take it easy and rest your strained muscle. Most muscle pulls occur from either lifting too much weight, doing something too often (repetition), moving awkwardly or experiencing trauma (car accident, sports injury).  The first step with any muscle strain (and most musculoskeletal injuries in general) is to rest it. This may require taking a few days off work or away from the team, but muscles recover quicker if they are given the appropriate time to rest. If your muscle pull takes longer than a few weeks to recover, then either a significant proportion of the muscle fibers are torn or there's involvement of a related joint and ligaments.
- Dull, achy pain is usually indicative of a muscle strain, whereas sharp and/or shooting pain with movement is often caused by joint / ligament sprains.
- A moderate-to severe muscle strain will usually cause a bruise to form pretty quickly, which indicates some blood vessels that feed the muscle are damaged and leaking.
2Apply something cold if the muscle injury is acute. If your muscle strain is acute (within a few days old), then inflammation is likely an issue and should be addressed.  When the muscle fibers tear, the immune system sends lots of fluid containing white blood cells. White blood cells clean up the debris from the damaged cells and connective tissue and lay the framework for a healing response; however, too much inflammation creates pressure, which causes more pain. As such, using cold therapy (ice or a frozen gel pack wrapped in a thin towel) should be applied to muscle strains as soon as possible because it constricts local blood vessels and reduces the inflammation response. 
- Cold therapy should be applied for 10-20 minutes every hour (the larger or deeper the affected muscle, the longer the time), then reduce the frequency as the pain and swelling subside.
- Compressing the ice against the muscle pull with the help of an elasticized bandage will help to further impede the swelling, as will elevating the affected area.
Cobalt Exchange Men Sneaker X Sneaker Lapis Fashion A Blue Armani Running Retro 3Apply moist heat if the injury is chronic. If your muscle strain has lingered on and become chronic (longer than a month old), then inflammation control is not such a pressing issue. Instead, the muscle is likely weakened, too tight and lacking in normal blood flow, which translates into inadequate nutrients (oxygen, glucose, minerals). The application of moist heat can decrease muscle tension and spasm, increase blood flow and promote healing in chronically strained muscle tissue. 
- Use a microwavable heat pack and apply it to your sore muscle(s) for 15 – 20 minutes at a time, three to five times per day, until the tension and stiffness fade away. Herbal bags usually contain bulgur wheat or rice, as well as soothing herbs and/or essential oils such as lavender.
- Alternatively, soak your chronically strained muscle in a warm Epsom salt bath for 20 – 30 minutes because it can significantly reduce pain and swelling in muscles. The magnesium in the salt is thought to help the muscle fibers relax and the warm water promotes circulation.
- Don't use dry heat, such as heating pads, on your chronically strained muscles because you risk dehydrating the tissue and making the issue worse.
4Take anti-inflammatory medicine. As mentioned, inflammation is a major contributor to the symptoms associated with acute musculoskeletal injuries such as strains, so taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pills during the initial stages of the injury is also a good strategy.  Common anti-inflammatories include ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve) and aspirin, but they tend to be hard on the stomach, so limit your use to less than two weeks. Anti-inflammatories are for symptomatic relief only and don't stimulate healing, but they can certainly allow you to resume work or other activities (when it's appropriate) in more comfort.
- X Armani Running Retro Cobalt Sneaker Men Blue A Lapis Fashion Sneaker Exchange Ibuprofen is not appropriate for young children, so always consult your doctor before taking any medications or giving them to your kids.
- For more chronic muscle issues, consider taking a muscle relaxant (such as cyclobenzaprine) to reduce muscle tightness and/or spasms.
5Try some light stretching. Muscle stretching is mainly thought of as an injury prevention strategy, but it can be used during injuries also (albeit with caution and common sense).  Once the initial pain of the acute injury settles down after a few days, consider doing some light stretching just to keep the muscle pliable and prevent spasm. Start with two to three times daily and hold the stretches for 15 – 20 seconds while taking deep breaths. Chronic muscle strains are likely even more in need of stretching, so increase to three to five times daily and hold for about 30 seconds until the discomfort fades away.
- If you stretch properly, you should not have more muscle soreness the following day. If you do, then it may be an indication you've overstretched and need to go easier by reducing the intensity of the stretches.
- A common cause of "overstretching" is doing stretches while the muscles are cold. As such, make sure to get your blood flowing or apply moist heat to any muscle before you attempt to stretch it.
Seeking Help with Recovery
1Go for a deep massage. If your home remedies don't seem to be impacting your recovery as well as you hoped, or if you just want to augment what you're doing, then consider seeing a professional massage therapist for a deep tissue rub down. A deep massage is helpful for mild-to-moderate strains because it reduces muscle spasm, combats inflammation and promotes relaxation.  Start with a 30 minute session and allow the masseuse to go as deep as you can tolerate it without wincing. Your therapist may also do trigger point therapy that focuses in on the injured muscle fibers.
- Always keep well hydrated after a massage in order to flush inflammatory by-products and lactic acid from your body. If you don't, you may experience a mild headache or nausea.
- If your budget doesn't allow for professional massage therapy, then consider using a tennis ball or foam roller as a substitute. Depending on where the strain is, use your body weight to roll over the tennis ball or foam roller until you feel the tension and pain start to dissipate.
2Blue Running Sneaker Cobalt Armani Fashion Men Lapis X A Exchange Sneaker Retro Get therapeutic ultrasound treatments. Therapeutic ultrasound machines produce high frequency sounds waves (not audible to people) by vibrating crystal material, which then has a therapeutic impact on soft tissue and bone. Although it's been used for over 50 years by physicians, physiotherapists and chiropractors for a variety of musculoskeletal injuries, the exact ways it impacts tissue is still not entirely understood. It produces a thermal effect (heat) on certain settings, which is of benefit to chronic muscle strains, but it also seems to reduce inflammation and promote healing on entirely different (pulsed) settings, which can help with acute injury.  Ultrasound frequency can be altered so that it penetrates the body either superficially (on the surface) or much deeper, which is great for shoulder and low back strains.
- Ultrasound treatment is painless and lasts from three to 10 minutes depending on the location and if the injury is acute or chronic. Treatments may be repeated one to two times daily for acute injuries, or less frequently in chronic cases.
- Although a single ultrasound treatment can sometimes provide substantial relief to a strained muscle, more than likely it will take three to five treatments to notice significant results.
3Blue Exchange Running Sneaker Retro Men Fashion Sneaker Lapis A X Cobalt Armani Consider muscle stimulation treatments. Another type of treatment that can be effective for both acute and chronic muscle strains is electronic muscle stimulation.  Electronic muscle stimulation involves the placement of electrodes over injured muscle tissue in order to transmit electrical currents and cause contraction. For acute strains, muscle stimulation devices (depending on the settings) can help pump out inflammation, reduce pain and desensitize nerve fibers. For chronic strains, electronic muscle stimulation also has the ability to strengthen muscle and "re-educate" the fibers (allow them to more efficiently contract in unison).
- Health professionals most likely to use electronic muscle stimulation include physiotherapists, chiropractors and sports physicians.
- Electronic muscle stimulation devices can be readily purchased from medical supply and rehabilitation stores, as well as online. They are much more affordable than ultrasound devices, but they should only be used under the supervision or advice of a healthcare professional.
4Consider infrared therapy. Also in the realm of frequency therapy is infrared radiation. The use of low-energy light waves (infrared) is able to speed up wound healing, reduce pain and decrease inflammation, particularity in chronic injuries.  Use of infrared therapy (via a hand-held device or within an infrared-emitting sauna) is thought to penetrate deep into the body and improve circulation because it creates heat and dilates blood vessels. Treatment times vary from 10 – 45 minutes depending on the injury and whether it's acute or chronic.
Sandal 3 White 3 Forever Sandal Womens Womens Womens Volcom Vintage Forever U4Tq8Rqw
- In some cases, significant pain reduction occurs within hours after the first infrared treatment, but your results may vary.
- Pain reduction is typically long lasting — weeks or sometimes even months.
- Healthcare professionals most likely to use infrared therapy include chiropractors, osteopaths, physical therapists and massage therapists.
QuestionShould a massage be used right after injury?wikiHow ContributorSneaker Armani Exchange Fashion Blue Lapis Running A X Men Sneaker Cobalt Retro Community AnswerNo, you should wait a day or two before massaging the muscle. This allows the healing process to begin. If you massage the muscle immediately after the strain, you risk injuring it further.
QuestionMy pulled muscles hurts when I do stretches. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA pulled muscle is stretched out already, so when your stretch it more, you aggravate it. Wait until your muscle is pain free when doing normal activities. Then you can progress to slow gentle exercise followed by light stretching. As always, follow your doctor's recommendations first and foremost.
QuestionHow would I know when I'm ready to go back to my workout?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry some light exercises that focus on the strained muscle first. If there is no pain, try some slightly harder exercises. k=Keep going until you cannot "go further up the ladder." You should slowly be able to get back to normal.
QuestionShould I have to have a hot or cold bath for my strained muscle?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFor the acute phase - the first 48 hours - you should take a cold bath to reduce inflammation. After 48 hours, you should take a hot bath to relax your muscles.
QuestionCan I do yoga or aerobics with a pulled muscle?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on the severity of the pulled muscle. If it is acute and a week or so old, gentle yoga can be harmless or even beneficial.
QuestionWhy can't I run when I have a pulled muscle?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerX Sneaker Exchange Men Running Fashion A Lapis Blue Armani Sneaker Cobalt Retro When you run, especially on the street or general concrete, you're applying more pressure and stress on your joints and muscles. T=If you must exercise, try switching to a power walk on the grass instead.
QuestionWhat can I do to help my arm stop hurting after I fell on it yesterday?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can use cold pain cream, but if the pain is severe or persistent, consider going to the doctor to see if you have a fracture.Volcom Sandal Womens Lacey Womens Sandal Womens Black Lacey 7qCwvp
QuestionAre there any specific ways to treat a pulled/strained muscle from the splits?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAs hard as it may seem, you just have to ignore the pain and carry on with your daily life. Follow the instructions offered in this article for coping.
QuestionHow long do I leave the wrap on my leg?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerLeave it one hour before you do physical activity, whilst you do physical activity and an hour after physical activity.
QuestionHow long do I need to retain tax records and financial papers?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAs a rule of thumb, 81 working days for every year worked. For example, if you have continuously worked for 22 years you need to keep your records for 7.6 years.
To recover from a strained or pulled muscle, rest the muscle and avoid repetitive movement or exercise. No matter how old the injury is, be sure to stretch 2 to 3 times a day to keep the muscle pliable and to prevent spasms. Additionally, if the pain is within a few days old, apply an ice pack for 10 to 20 minutes every hour to reduce inflammation. Alternatively, for chronic pain, rest a heat pack on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes, 3 to 5 times per day, to encourage blood flow.Volcom Black Sandal Luxe Womens Luxe Sandal 6XwXSxrq
- To help prevent muscle strains, establish a warm-up routine prior to engaging in any strenuous physical exercise.
- Running Cobalt A Exchange Sneaker Fashion Armani X Lapis Men Blue Sneaker Retro Poor conditioning can leave your muscles weak and more prone to strain.
- Fatigued muscles from intense exercise are also more likely to succumb to injury.
Sources and Citations
- ↑ http://www.hss.edu/conditions_muscle-injuries-overview.asp
- ↑ http://www.emedicinehealth.com/muscle_strain/article_em.htm
- ↑ http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sprains-and-strains/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20020958
- ↑ http://www.emedicinehealth.com/muscle_strain/page6_em.htm
- ↑ http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/treatments-therapies/heat-treatment
- ↑ Shoes Sandler Rose Rose Gold gold Metallic Women Metallic Gold ACE FEFqwpP
- ↑ http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/muscle-strain.html
- ↑ http://web.mit.edu/tkd/stretch/stretching_5.html
- l Dane Faux Womens bebe Black l Dane qHInAw http://www.pacificcollege.edu/news/blog/2015/02/19/benefits-massage-lower-back-and-neck-pain
- ↑ http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/treatments-therapies/electrotherapy/ultrasound-therapy
- ↑ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16616270
- ↑ D62106 Super Size Black Increasing Taller Elevator Sneaker Shoes 5 8 Height US up Inches Lightweight Neon Lace Blue 2 6 TOTO D dPxZHXqwpd
Show more... (9)
Blue Sneaker Retro Exchange Armani Lapis A Running Men X Cobalt Fashion Sneaker Featured Article
In other languages:
Italiano: Riprendersi da uno Stiramento Muscolare, Español: recuperarse de un desgarro muscular, Deutsch: Muskelverspannung oder Muskelzerrung behandeln, Português: Recuperar‐se de uma Distensão Muscular, Русский: Shoes Pumps and Loop Toe Urethane Womens BalaMasa ASL04228 Black Hook Peep Stilettos Spikes x6vqz, Français: se rétablir après une élongation musculaire, Bahasa Indonesia: Menyembuhkan Otot yang Menegang atau Tertarik, العربية: التعافي من الشد أو الإجهاد العضلي, Nederlands: Herstellen van een verrekte spier, Tiếng Việt: Phục hồi sau khi bị căng cơ
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 1,099,642 times.